Saturday, December 3, 2011

I Have No Self Control - Pic Heavy

     Do you ever find a product, take it home, swatch it and then run back to the store like a crazy woman to purchase eighty thousand more? I don't do that often - in fact, I think the last time I did that was a year or two ago when MAC brought out my perfect lip stick shade as a limited edition (Laugh A Lot).

     The Revlon Lip Butters were instant love. I knew they would probably sell like hot cakes once the beauty community learned that they were available in Canada already. So, after my blog post yesterday I ran back to London Drugs and then went back a THIRD time to get all the colours I wanted... Obsessed much?

     I really have no complaints about this product though. After wearing Berry Smoothie yesterday I found them to be relatively moisturizing. I think they wear for approximately the same amount of time as a MAC lustre. My only complaint is that I find it difficult to "draw inside the lines" with the shape of these. I have a really defined cupids bow so I tend to prefer a classic lipstick shape.

Top L-R: Raspberry Pie, Red Velvet Cake
Bottom L-R: Cotton Candy, Sweet Tart
Top L-R: Pink Truffle, Creme Brulee
Creamsicle
     So, now I am the proud owner of - count 'em - eleven freaking lip butters. I don't need eleven of them, but I think I'll get my use out of them. That being said - I've placed a lip product ban on 2012. The colours I've purchased now consist of: Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Parfait, Berry Smoothie, Candy Apple, Red Velvet Cake, Raspberry Pie, Cotton Candy, Sweet Tart, Pink Truffle, Creme Brûlée, and Creamsicle.

Red Velvet Cake

     Red Velvet Cake scares me a little to be honest. While I tend to be a red/pink/berry lip girl and really bright lip makes me uncomfortable. This is a warmer burgundy type red and, while it's beautiful, it might take a couple of drinks to get me to wear it in public. It is a nice shade on my pale skin with yellow undertones though and it stains like CRAZY so I might try it as a stain with some lip balm.

Red Velvet Cake

Raspberry Pie

     Raspberry Pie looks just like a raspberry in the tube. I found though that it both swatched and applied much more hot pink than bright berry (think a nice dark ripe raspberry vs a cooked down red one). Probably I won't get a ton of use out of this one.

Raspberry Pie

Cotton Candy

     Cotton Candy on the other hand has probably slipped into my top two shades! This is exactly what I wanted to get out of Strawberry Shortcake. Much like SS, CC is a barely there, wear with anything pink. The difference (which makes it look a lot better on me) is that it runs a lot more neutral to warm. I also find it less milky than SS which is also a big plus in my books.

Cotton Candy


Sweet Tart
     Sweet Tart is one that I avoided on my first outings and picked up, put back and picked up again on my final trip. It is a bright pink, which scared me a little after seeing swatches of Lollipop but I do believe this one is wearable. Sweet Tart is reminiscent of MAC's Lustering which is another favorite lipstick of mine. I would describe this as a slightly blue toned neutral mid to bright pink.

Sweet Tart

Pink Truffle

     Pink Truffle is one I had no interest in before swatching it in store (FYI - Berry Smoothie, Strawberry Shortcake, Pink Truffle and Creme Brûlée seem to be the standard in store testers). Not surprisingly this is a pink based brown. Typically I stay away from brown lips because they just don't appeal to me, but the rose undertone in this makes it pretty. I'm really excited to create a look using Pink Truffle as the star.

Pink Truffle

Creme Brulee

     Creme Brûlée is one I actually didn't care much for even after swatching. I'm not sure what possessed me to pick it up (I was in frantic shopping mode) but I did and I'm glad. This is a light neutral brownish colour. In the tube it reminds me of light brown sugar. But on the lips it looks really attractive. I have fairly dark pigmented lips to begin with and I think Creme Brûlée neutralizes them a bit without being scary.

Creme Brulee

Creamsicle

     Finally, I grabbed Creamsicle based solely on the recommendation from Elise (BubbleGumPrincess) on YouTube. Well, I'll just say that based on her videos our skin tones and colouring are similar, but OMG this is a hot mess on me. I was hesitant when I picked it up, but I thought it would go on kind of sheer. I was wrong. It's a milky orange - think a creamsicle that has melted and the orange Popsicle is mixed with the vanilla ice cream. I can picture it looking nice on someone with different colouring than me, but I think the combination of my pigmented lips and the tone of my skin make this really awful on me.

Creamsicle
     Finally I'm finished! I promise no more Lip Butter posts for awhile!! I'll summarize by saying I think these Lip Butters are wearable and workable. It's easy to get a light wash of colour or to build it up and get something more dramatic. For my personal taste and skin tone I'd say Berry Smoothie, Cotton Candy, Peach Parfait, Sweet Tart and Creme Brûlée are your must haves. If you could only get two, I'd recommend Berry Smoothie as your natural looking one and Sweet Tart for a more noticeable lip.

Top L-R: Berry Smoothie, Peach Parfait, Creme Brulee
Bottom L-R: Cotton Candy, Sweet Tart

   

















1 comment:

  1. Omigosh, you have so many Lip Butters! I still haven't tried them (which makes me a bad beauty blogger - haha)

    xo, alison*elle

    ReplyDelete