Friday, December 2, 2011

Friday Faves: Revlon Lip Butters (IN CANADA?!)

     So I'll admit it - this is more of a first impressions review than a technical favorite post. However, even though I've only had these babies in my hot little hands for about four hours I've been playing with them and I can tell they will become quick staples!!! A big thanks to Dani at Call it Beauty for tipping me off that these Revlon Lip Butters had found their way into some London Drugs!

     I'm a big believer that a lipstick is a lipstick is a lipstick - whether the cheapest drug store brand or the most expensive department store brand. Sure, there are variations in formulation, pigmentation and longevity, but I find these are more across the board for certain COLOURS than certain brands.

     So far I am really impressed with these lip butters. I think they wear a lot like MAC Lustres (which are my favorite). They have a great colour pay off and leave a nice sheen on the lip. I have a lot of trouble wearing lip products other than lip balms in the winter, and I'm hoping these will solve my moisture problems... that doesn't sound quite right - but you catch my drift. I can't say if these wear for a long time or if they really keep lips moisturized, but I will be sure to update when I figure it out!!

     Luckily for me, they had all the shades available when I went to LD this morning. I am impressed with the colour range - there are very wearable neutrals, pinks, corals, reds and browns (which I'm sure you've all seen online anyways!) I picked up four and I'm already regretting not buying a few other shades...


L-R: Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Parfait, Berry Smoothie, Candy Apple



Top L-R: Strawberry Smoothie, Peach Parfait
Bottom L-R: Berry Smoothie, Candy Apple

Strawberry Smoothie
     Strawberry Smoothie is probably my LEAST favorite of the bunch, which is odd because I often go for pinks like this. I think it leans just slightly too cool for my skin tone. It's a nice barely there pink though. Slightly lighter than MAC's Lovelorn. I'm a bit sad because I was so looking forward to this one, but the others more than make up for it!

Strawberry Smoothie

Peach Parfait
     I am SO in love with Peach Parfait. It's one of those easy to wear colours. It looks a little peach on the lips, but it's not SO orange based that it looks kind of scary. This is what I was hoping Strawberry Shortcake would be. I would say this one leans a little more warm toned, but I could see some cooler toned people pulling it off too. I would say this is one of the must have shades.

Peach Parfait

Berry Smoothie

     I freaking love Berry Smoothie. If I could only have one lip butter, this would be it. A single swipe of this shade gives me a really nice "my lips but better" look. It's really easily buildable and several swipes gives you a really gorgeous (and wearable) berry colour. I have a feeling this will one day be one of those cult colours that you can't find anywhere. I'm resisting the urge to go and buy 77 back ups...

Berry Smoothie

Candy Apple
     This is another really nice shade. Applied it IS a pretty insanely bright red, but with a little blotting you can turn it into a really beautiful lip stain. One swipe without blotting is a bright, slightly orange based red and several swipes gives you a crazy bright lip. I'm not particularly comfortable with a bright lip, so I doubt I'll wear it like that, but it's still really wearable for me! So, that being said - girls who don't like a bright lip - don't be afraid of Candy Apple! You can make it work!

Candy Apple
Well, those are my first impressions. I'm disappointed that I didn't grab Red Velvet Cake and Sweet Tart. I hope you guys have some luck finding these in your local London Drugs! I'm glad they're here in Canada before the rumored February launch. I should also mention I was REALLY surprised that the Canadian retail price is only $7.99 on these. I thought it would be a lot more! 



No comments:

Post a Comment